When we remove your braces, we will begin the retention stage of your treatment. Your final orthodontic result depends on your retainers, so follow through with the hard work you've put in so far! Be sure to follow these guidelines:
- Until Dr. Wigal instructs you otherwise, please wear your retainers at all times.
- Remove your retainer when you are eating.
- When not wearing your retainer, ALWAYS put it in its case. If you wrap it in a napkin, it is likely to be accidentally thrown away!
- Remember to remove your retainer before brushing, and brush your retainer before placing it back in your mouth.
- You may clean your retainer using Efferdent® and warm, not hot, water.
- If you are having trouble speaking while wearing your retainer, just practice! Read aloud, talk on the phone or sing along to the radio to get used to talking with your retainers!
- Be careful with your retainers because they can break easily. Call us if you accidentally break one of them.
- Please make an appointment if you think your retainer needs to be adjusted. Never do it yourself.
- Always bring your retainers with you to your follow-up appointments.
- Please remove your retainer if you are swimming.
- Do not put your retainer in hot or boiling water to clean it. It can melt! Also keep retainers away from hot car dashboards and out of the washing machine.
Replacing your retainer is expensive! If you follow the above guidelines, your retainer can last for years!
For more information, please download and print our Retainers handout!
*This document requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click the Adobe logo to download.